Thursday, October 19, 2017

The Cashew Kingdom of Vietnam

Vietnam is one of the unique treasures of the business world. Foreign investments, start-ups, entrepreneurial spirits and innovative ideas has transformed the country into one of the fastest-growing economies in Asia. People are getting more and more engaged into the business world, opening their new companies and sharing their constantly flowing ideas. Foreign organizations, on the other hand, open their offices or factories in the country because of the affordable labor costs and the availability of resources. The whole atmosphere in Vietnam has its own unique and vibrant charm. That is why I chose to do my internship in this dynamic country!


As a fourth year Trade Management for Asia student at the Rotterdam Business School, I wanted to learn more about the trade connections between Far East Asia and the Western world. Topics such as import, export and supply-chain management intrigue me very much. Moreover, in the Netherlands and Japan, I acquired insight of the Southeast Asian economics and their current and future developments. So, what a better idea could be than experiencing the business dynamics at a place where there is a ‘boom’ of opportunities.

Currently, I am doing an internship at Red River Foods. It is an American company whose head quarters are located in Richmond, Virginia. The company is one of the major importers of nuts and dry fruit in the United States. Red River Foods has a worldwide reach – it serves a loyal base of over 150 customers with over 50 different varieties sourced from more than 20 countries around the globe. The branch I am having my internship at is located in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The director of the branch is Robert Hoeve who is also my supervisor. Our office is dedicated to the company’s cashew operations – determining which suppliers meet all quality, health and safety standards. Red River Foods Vietnam has operated for about 3 years and it already has opened two factories! It is very exciting to be a part of such a fast-developing company and learn from an expert like Mr. Hoeve!

I have been in Red River Foods Vietnam for 2 months (in total 4 months). I have had the chance to have a grasp on how the business is operated in terms of supply chain and how trade relations between Vietnam and USA are controlled. My main task as an intern is to develop a business plan in order to find out if it is feasible to expand some of the company’s operations to Cambodia. Due to this assignment, I learnt more about outsourcing, financial outlooks and I got a greater insight on how the cashew nut industry is operating. Moreover, I had the opportunity to execute a field research – visit cashew nut seedling suppliers and learn more about the Vietnamese farmers and their plantations. Another exciting visit was the one to the company’s processing factory. I discovered how the cashew nuts are processed, inspected and finally packaged – ready to be exported to USA. This whole new experience has been very enlightening. I gained so much knowledge about the supply chain management of a product such as the cashew nut – from the small seed in the cashew garden of the Vietnamese farmer, through the processing of the cashew and its careful inspection, to the ready-for-export package. It is fascinating to find out how many stages one cashew nut has to go through in order to be found in the supermarket!

Another aspect I am really grateful to Mr. Hoeve for teaching me is the business relations with the local people. He explained me how tricky and stressful is to have a business in Southeast Asia but that’s the fun of it. My supervisor shared his experience of how to deal with risky situations and also how to solve problems with Vietnamese suppliers. The most important lesson is “Know your market well, your suppliers even better and mitigate your risks”. I would like to thank Red River Foods Vietnam and Mr. Hoeve for having me! I hope the next 2 months of my internship are full with exciting experiences and more business insights!